When you first create your Facebook account, two crucial pieces of information you will need to supply are the email address and password you will use to login to your profile. But, like most everything else on Facebook, you can later go back and not only change your Facebook password, but also, as you'll learn in this tutorial, you can even change the email address you enter in the sign in form. If you just changed job, finished school, or have switched to another internet provider, make sure that you update the login email address as soon as possible: remember that this email address is also used to email you important information in case you forgot your password, for example, and cannot login.
Tip: note that unlike some other, less flexible online services, changing your email address on Facebook doesn't imply signing up for a new account. You will retain everything about your profile, and the only thing that will be affected is which email address you type in when logging into your account - and nothing else!
Change the email address you use to login
Follow these very simple steps to update your Facebook email:
- Once you are inside your Facebook profile, click on the "Account" button in the top right corner of the page, and choose "Account Settings" from the dropdown menu:
- As soon as you do, Facebook will redirect you to the "My Account" screen; the third section is labeled "Email - Set your email contact information", and contains the email address currently "on file". Click on the "Change" link above your the email address:
- A mini screen will now be displayed underneath, and give you several options: first, you can switch from your current email address as contact account, to your Facebook email address instead (more information on messaging in our Facebook Email Tutorial). To do just that, select your Facebook email address and click on the "Change Contact Email" button.
- To enter a brand new email address and use it for both contact and login, type it inside the "New Contact Email" text field, and click on the "Add New Email" to save the change:
- For your own protection, Facebook will then display a "Change Email" popup, asking you to enter your current account password for confirmation purposes (to prevent someone from adding their email address to your Facebook account after you stepped away from your computer while still logged into your profile, for example). Type it and click "Confirm":
- The current screen will reload, and display a confirmation message that an email was sent to the email address you just supplied: go login to that email account, and check for an email message from Facebook; if you cannot see it, check your Spam / Junk Mail folder first, or click on the "Resend confirmation Email" link - if that fails as well, double-check the email address you entered for any typo - unless your system administrator has blocked email from Facebook, this will be the reason why you do not see the message you expected.
Tip: if Facebook gives you a "Please enter a valid email address" error message, you probably have a user name (the part of the email address that comes before the "
@" symbol) that is often used for spam: try using another email account.
Copyright © 2013 Facebook Login Sign in
, All Rights Reserved. • Legal Disclaimer
- Ask a QuestionFacebook is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc; tutorials presented in our Facebook Sign in Login help pages are created for the latest version of the Facebook social networking site, and are updated on a regular basis to cover Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS X, and (Ubuntu) Linux. Never share your Facebook login information (user name & password). Always use common sense when you sign in to your Facebook account, especially from a public computer / other unfamiliar location.